The Pet Project… What We Do… Who We Are
A Companion Animal’s Unconditional Love
A companion animal’s unconditional love imparts the gifts of healing and camaraderie for people living with a terminal disease. Offering companionship, diversion, love, and a reason to get up in the morning, companion animals also provide scientifically established health benefits.
Respecting the power of unconditional love, THE PET PROJECT exists to promote and preserve the human/animal bond. Assisting with pet care and maintenance, THE PET PROJECT empowers people living with terminal disease to care for and keep their companion animals.
Due to the intense physical and financial burdens faced by people’s life threatening or severely disabling diseases, many would be unable to keep, feed and care for their “friends” without our help. By lending a hand with the care and maintenance of our clients’ animal companions, THE PET PROJECT promotes and preserves the human/animal bond, empowering clients to keep and care for their animal companions and to enjoy their company and enabling clients to enjoy the medical and emotional benefits that their animal companions provide. We accomplish this by providing the following services to individuals living with a terminal disease in Broward County by providing:
- A food bank of low cost pet food and home delivery of pet food for clients with limited mobility
- Discounted and/or low cost basic veterinary services
- Pet transportation to the vet for clients with limited mobility or no means of transportation
- Outreach to inform the public, service organizations, and potential clients of our services
- Access to health education and information on zoonoses (diseases transmitted from animals to humans)
- Temporary foster care to companion animals of clients who need to go into the hospital
- Adoption for companion animals of clients who we have ascertained have no resources of their own
- Volunteers to exercise pets for clients whose health prevents their caring for their animals in this way
- Cage, tank and litter box cleaning and other hygienic assistance for clients whose health requires it.
We started with the food bank and vaccination services, and hope to expand to the full range of proposed services as soon as we have the funds and manpower available for it. We also have expanded to satellite services in Miami/Dade and Palm Beach county.
In serving our clients, THE PET PROJECT employs these ethics and values:
- Respect for Diversity
What Can You Do to Help?
Our organization is volunteer driven. Your charitable contribution and/or volunteer support directly benefit client services. Donations take many forms: your check, a grant, a bequest, hosting a private wine and cheese/bring your checkbook party, your business/professional/artistic expertise, or volunteering to work directly with our clients. Your donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted under the law. The Pet Project for Pets, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) and is a Florida a nonprofit corporation.
CLICK HERE to check out all of our upcoming events!